#NEXTGENATP’S SHAPOVALOV, ZVEREV TO MEET IN SEMIS
• Denis Shapovalov, 18, and Alexander Zverev, 20, will meet in a #NextGenATP semi-final showdown on Saturday at Coupe Rogers. Zverev entered the event with four titles this year alone, while Shapovalov arrived in Montreal with three career victories on tour. The Canadian teen has
seven wins now, including a historic upset of three-time champion and No. 1 seed Rafael Nadal.
• Shapovalov is the youngest ATP Masters 1000 semi-finalist since the series started in 1990 and the youngest Coupe Rogers semi-finalist in the Open Era. With two more wins, the World No. 143 would tie Roberto Carretero at 1996 Hamburg as the lowest-ranked ATP Masters 1000 champion. Shapovalov would be the lowest-ranked Coupe Rogers champion since rankings began in 1973.
• Zverev is 8-0 in the last 10 days, including straight-set victories over Kevin Anderson in the Washington final on Sunday and Montreal quarter-finals on Friday. The German is up to 44 wins on the season, tying his career-high from 2016 and three shy of Nadal’s ATP-best 47 victories in 2017. Zverev would be the youngest Coupe Rogers finalist since Novak Djokovic won the 2007 title.
• Shapovalov saved four match points and Zverev saved three in their opening matches this week. Their meeting on Saturday is the youngest semi-final on tour since 18-year-old Kei Nishikori defeated 20-year-old Sam Querrey at 2008 Delray Beach and the youngest ATP Masters 1000 semi-final since Nadal defeated fellow 18-year-old Richard Gasquet at 2005 Monte-Carlo.
• Roger Federer will play his 59th ATP Masters 1000 semi-final against Robin Haase, who is appearing in his first. Federer’s 15-match win streak is his longest since 16 in 2012. Should he win his third Coupe Rogers title, Federer will secure a Top 2 seed at the US Open and control his own destiny in next week’s race for the No. 1 ranking. Haase is 0-1 against Federer and 0-11 lifetime against Top 5 players. He and Shapovalov are both unseeded, marking the first time that two unseeded players are in the Coupe Rogers semis since 2008 (Nicolas Kiefer and Gilles Simon).
View Schedule and check back later for preview notes